Thursday, May 10, 2007

I love you Baltimore

Ahhh, I am going to miss Baltimore so very much. I love this city with all of my heart. My decision to join the Peace Corps was not taken lightly, not only because of the challenges I will face, but the challenges my beloved city faces every day -- the problems I will be walking away from.


It is important to me to understand how a majority of the world lives. I do believe that borders are arbitrary and artificial and the problems of the world are therefore mine as well. We as a country and as a city will only get better if the world gets healthier.


I have lately had some daydreams inspired by the "Boys of Baraka". When I worry about leaving the issues of Baltimore, I salve my conscience with the idea that perhaps I will forge contacts and learn new ideas to not only bring back to Baltimore, but perhaps to be able to temporarily transport some of Baltimore's most troubled youth to a school or a program I set up somewhere on the African continent. I know the school didn't last because of bureaucratic issues, but having worked in insurance for 10 years, if there is something I can deal with it is bureaucracy on an African scale.


This is a ramble, I really just wanted to get off of my chest how much I love Baltimore and I want to thank Coralie for having the patience to make all of my "Funny Face" dreams come true. Granted, I should have been wearing a boatneck, nipped waist, full skirted 50's dream dress with a pillbox hat, but this is good enough:




Also, if anyone has any "Believe" stickers, or better yet the French version, "Creer", please please give them to me. I will take pictures of them up in my village and send them to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather--Just wanted to stop by and check out your digs. Nice! I mentioned your blog to a Togo RPCV friend. She may drop by.
Beautiful sentiments you've expressed. It will be interesting to see how they....uhm...shall we say...."adjust" with time!! Bon chance

Andreas Kollegger said...

Before you go, could you put some of this in a bottle from which we could take sips on those days when it seems like the world sucks?

Tami P. said...

Heather-
Just wanted to send a quick message to say that we are looking forward to having you here in Togo...and for what its worth there are a few of us from Maryland here so we can start ourselve a mini Maryland here.
See you soon!!