Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Judge! I love Baltimore!

So earlier this week I decided to use the "search and record" function on my DVR to look for shows about Baltimore, my home town. I found an episode of American Gangster featuring Melvin Williams of Baltimore, also known as the man who brought heroin to the city.

Imagine my surprise when about 11 minutes in, The Judge (he shows up at 1:24 on the karaoke video), as in the Judge who has been oddly singing karaoke around the city for years, was interviewed several times throughout the episode. Squealing with delight I called the one person I knew would recognize him from the karaoke singing days of yore at the now-defunct Kelly's (crabs and karaoke, really what more could you ask for?).

So, if you're interested in the backstory behind the creation of The Wire (based on Melvin's criminal exploits) (another footnote, Melvin played the Deacon of the church in The Wire - he was great) or The Judge (yes, all caps are needed), watch these videos.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am debating posting a video of me singing "Rhinestone Cowboy" at Kelly's last year. I may be worse than The Judge.
Thoughts?
Nevermind, I'll do it and if there is political fallout, so be it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am an editor for Christian.com which is a social network dedicated to the christian community. As I look through your web site I feel a collaboration is at hand. I would be inclined to acknowledge your website offering it to our users as I'm sure our Pentecostal audience would benefit from what your site has to offer. I look forward to your thoughts or questions regarding the matter.

Vicky Silvers
vicky.silvers@gmail.com

Heather said...

you must be joking vicky