Monday, April 19, 2010

Doves

The haunting song of the mourning dove (zenaida macroura) has been my favorite birdsong my whole life and a constant companion. They live in my courtyard here in downtown DC; they've always been up on the Bush River -- they're everywhere.

They're lovely and their song is sad and meloncholy -- hence the name.


When I moved to Togo the West Africa bird guide was my constant companion. Imagine my surprise when I heard a song one day that was almost my mourning dove song - minus the meloncholy. I look it up -- the African Laughing Dove (streptopelia senegalensis).

I like to think, despite the harshness of life there, people did laugh more and it is only natural that the doves did too.

What sound will the doves make in Morocco? A national dish is pigeon pie, so perhaps none at all:) Are they bi-polar?
I need to get a North Africa bird book, stat!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just when I thought nothing of value could be found in blogs...

For the last 29 yrs, i had thought they were "morning" doves. Wow... I should have paid closer attention in my 100 level biology classes

Like a nice healthy bowel movement I will read this blogger's post with regularity.

Unfortunately this blogger has been a bit constipated lately. Which is ok, because I find most the posts to be tripe. But as is the case with most decaying organic material there is always some nutrient to be found.